Children can easily make this fun gift, but they will need supervision and help with measuring, especially if you decide to use food coloring. Mom will love the customized scents and the promise of pampering that this gift provides.
What you will need:
1. Epsom Salt
2. Rock Salt
4. Three different essential oils such as lavender, vanilla or rose
5. Long skinny basket
6. Food coloring
7. Metal bowl
8. Three Popsicle sticks
9. Three small jars with lids or corks
12. Computer and printer or permanent black marker
13. Adhesive similar to Glue Dots
1. Determine about how much each jar will hold.
2. If each jar will hold two cups you will want to mix together one and a half cups Epsom salt and a half cut Rock salt.
3. Add four drops of glycerin.
4. Add a couple of drops of one of the essential oils.
5. Add two drops of food coloring (if desired). You may want to consider having the color match the scent for example if you are using lavender you will want to use purple food coloring.
6. Mix all the ingredients with the Popsicle stick until the salts are thoroughly colored.
7. Pour mixture into jar. If you are not coloring the salts you will want to make sure and identify what scent is in each jar.
8. Put lid on jar.
9. Rinse out bowl and dry completely.
10. Repeat steps two through nine for the remaining two scents.
11. Use the computer to print out the names of the scents for each jar on vellum, or write in nice handwriting the names with a black permanent marker.
12. Use the blue dots to apply the vellum to the outside of the jar.
13. Tie a couple of strands of raffia around the lip of the jar in a bow.
14. Place in the basket.
If you decide to get a large basket you may also want to consider adding a small towel, lotion, face wash, fingernail polish, and other similar items that Mom likes.